1 cup semolina (not too fine)
3-4 cashews broken
1 tsp. udad (black) dal
1/2 tsp. each cumin and mustard seeds
1 stalk curry leaves
1 tsp. coriander chopped
3 green chillies chopped
1 onion chopped coarsely
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. ghee
1 tsp. lemon juice
salt to taste
2-3 cups boiling water
few tomato slices
1. Heat oil in a heavy pan.
2. Add the cashew, seeds, dal and fry on low till light golden.
3. Add the green chillies, curry leaves and onions. Stir and saute till the onions are pink.
4. Add the the semolina and stir continuously till the semolina gives out a nice aroma.
5. Takes about 7-8 minutes to roast the semolina on low.
6. Add the salt and stir. Carefully pour in 2 cups boiling water and stir well.
7. Use a long handled ladle for stirring to keep away from the spluttering.
If it feels too dry , add more water and stir. Keep on low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add ghee, lemon juice and coriander and mix well.
9. Mould into a greased cup and unmould onto serving plate.
10. Decorate with tomato slices.
11. Serve hot with steaming coffee or tea.
12. Can accompany with green chutney or sauce.
Variation: Add some grated carrot or peas along with the onions if you are a veggie buff.